Saturday, June 2, 2007

Welcome Guest Designer, Allison Fillo!

If you haven't met Allison thru Blogland, then you are really missing a treat. I first met Allison, when she was the winner of a Blog Candy drawing. Noticing that she had a blog, I ventured over and was blown away for the amount of content on it. Allison does alot of blog surfing and condenses the information onto her site, on a daily basis. Really, you could just read her blog and never go to another site and be in the "know". Some of the things she'll list are: tutorials, challenges, blog candy, new blog sites and international sites. And, how she does it and then finds the time to stamp, is a mystery to me. I love her style and generosity and appreciate her time to visit my blog. So, let's see what she is going to share with us.

Tell us a little about yourself. Married? Children? Occupation?
I am married to Brad, mom to Tristan (4) and Charlotte (18 months) and in my spare time (ha!), I am a work from home technical writer. I write service manuals on explosive detection systems.

What are your hobbies?
Well, stamping (of course), blurfing (blog surfing), chatting, crafting and shopping with my GFs, going on walks with my kids, and gardening.

When did you begin stamping?
At first, I was really against stamping... weird, huh? I had taken a political stance in my first year as a mom (and away from the office) that all these hobbies were just a way to pre-occupy the time of women who should be out fighting for the cause...ha! But, after seeing my SIL create cards and scrapbooks and then meeting a neighbor who was an SU demo, I started to see the beauty and enjoyment that could come from creating. When my neighbor invited me over, I took my SIL (since she was interested) and used it as an excuse to get out of the house for the evening. I had lots of fun (although I tended to chat too much!). My SIL and I thought it would be then a good idea to create our own Christmas cards...it was fun but I don't recommend trying to do them all in one night! After that, came my first order (during Sell-a-bration)...I was hooked. Once I started blogging, well then it became a daily obsession!

What are your favorite colors to work with, when creating a card?
When I first started, I was all about the Earth Elements (old olive, chocolate chip, really rust, etc.). Now with color challenges and blurfing, I have a whole new yen for pastels (certainly celery, perfect plum and pretty in pink). So, I really like both...I guess it just depends on what season I am in.

What is your favorite stamping technique?
I guess if there is one that it easy and adds that special touch, it would have to be piercing. Of course, I have yet to expand my repertoire as much as I should!

What kind of stamps do you enjoy using?
Well, I have to say I do love SU. The coordination of stamps as well as the "feel" of a wooden, rubber stamp is just something that no clear stamp can emulate. That being said, I do find that the versatility of my Papertrey Ink stamps is without parallel.

Any special companies that you are fond of?
As I said in my previous statement, SU and Papertrey Ink (I can't wait for July when the new catalogue is available!). In addition, some of the stamps on my wish list include the Stampendous spring flowers (poppies, agapanthus and fresh bloom) as well as the Fancy Pants Pollen Dust set.

When did you start blogging/website and for what reasons?
Originally, I started blogging for two reasons: 1) to archive my creations and everyday experiences so that I could remember the day-to-day moments (especially since my memory is horrible!) and 2) to link tutorials/techniques so that I could go back and find them when I needed them. Once people started to find my site, there were many comments about appreciating the links...from there, I added blog candy (since, early on, no one really seemed to know where these were!), inspiring blogs as well as sketch designs/contests. I wanted to know about these and I figured everyone else would too! Now, I feel like I have a whole community of friends and would hate to take a day off!

Are there any special stamping techniques or hobbies that you would like to know more about?
Well, I am determined to heat emboss my Christmas cards...sad, I know but I have yet to do this! Plus, I would like to learn how to distress and antique a card effectively...I have tried it but with less than ideal results!

7 comments:

Allison Rankin said...

Thanks Leslie...this was sweet of you to feature me! All the best!

Kelly said...

Way to go Allison love your work!

Nancy said...

Thanks for the little window into Allison's world!!!

doverdi said...

Thanks for featuring Allison as your guest designer. Allison's hard work and efforts are much appreciated. I have discovered so many awesome blogs from her links as well as all the great tutorials, blog candy, etc. that she has shared. Thanks Allison and thanks Leslie for this feature.

BarbK said...

This was very interesting. I love Allison's work and her blog is fabulous, I start there everyday. Of course, this is my first visit here and I would love to link this blog over at mine. That OK with you, Leslie?

Pattyjo said...

Yes, I read Allison's blog daily. I do not understand how she knows everything the way she does either. I think she's psychic. There...thats the extend of my wit. LOL!
Seriously...I wouldn't have a clue as to all that going on, unless she had it in her blog. She is a gal in the "Know" for sure!

Unknown said...

Yeah! Alison is a great stamper and blogger to feature! Love her work and her blog is awesome!