Monday, November 3, 2008

A different way to use Prismacolor pencils...

For several years, I feared using Prismacolor pencils. I actually attempted to use them several months ago, after Gina K. sent me a small bottle of Gamsol, odorless mineral spirits. (Thanks, Gina!) Unfortunately, Gamsol has an odor that I didn't care for it, so the pencils went back into storage. Recently, someone shared using Baby Oil instead of Gamsol with their colored pencils. After trying it, I am in love with my pencils again. If Baby Oil is used just as Gamsol would be, you'll get a clean and clear image with your pencils.

Everyone has a different technique for using their tools, so I'm sharing what works best for me. I like to stamp my images in Brilliance Black ink before coloring. Then, I choose the pencils I'll be using. Sometimes this takes several attempts on a "practice" image, till the correct color/shade are shown. I try to add highlights to the area by adding less color. Once I'm satisfied with the coloring, I blend Baby Oil onto the image using paper stumps. (These can be found at your local craft store. They are great for moving the color around and even removing too much color.) I start with the lightest areas first and progress to the darkest areas. When I move to another area of the image, I either file the end of the stump or rub it across scrap paper till clean. I only use the oil when the end of the stump becomes dry, so it takes a small amount of it to complete a project. Baby Oil dries quickly and has a more pleasant smell to me.

This card was made with SU! products and stamp set, "Thinking of Father". I added texture to the background with my Cuttlebug embossing folder. After sponging ink around the edges of the image, I added 2 strips of ribbon for another masculine card.

So, go get those pencils and out and start coloring!
Leslie

No comments: